No one wants to have their car stolen, and that’s why we work so hard to have deterrents in place for would-be car thieves. Here are a few tips that can help scare off an opportunist who is just looking for an easy score.
- Never leave the car running with the doors unlocked – Modern car alarm systems usually have a remote start function that allows you to warm your car up in the morning without leaving it unlocked. Never leave a car running and unlocked, even in your own driveway, and especially not when you are out running errands.
- Don’t leave your keys in the car – If a thief sees your keys in the car, they are likely to try the door. Even if the door doesn’t open, a trained thief can get into a car quickly, and the keys just simplify the process.
- Park in places with good lighting – Darkness is the ally of criminal activity. You want to park in lit areas unless you have a private garage that locks.
- Drive with your doors locked – Keeping your doors locked will make it tougher for someone to carjack you without a weapon.
- Get a car alarm system professionally installed – This will allow you to get added safety benefits (and a nice discount on your auto insurance). Pro installation is a must so that the system operates properly and is integrated into your vehicle nicely.